• Monday , 20 February 2017

Watch out dirty dog owners, we’re on to you

You may have seen one of these stencils on pavements around Sandwell.

If you do, then you’ll know that’s somewhere that we’ve cleaned up a lot of dog mess.

Stencils1crop

We’ve painted about 130 around Sandwell and we want them to serve as a not-so-subtle reminder to dog owners to clean up after their pets.

And that wardens will be patrolling that area – so fail to clean up at your peril.

As for the progress we’ve made since we launched our award-winning dog fouling campaign last February

Well we’ve fined 75 people for not cleaning up after their dog (and this means a warden has had to see someone failing to pick up after their dog) and we’ve taken four people to court. We’ve also handed out thousands of free dog mess bags.

As a dog owner myself, I just don’t understand the mentality of people who can let their dog do its business and then walk on by, leaving it for someone else to clean up.

It’s disgusting and it costs the council tens of thousands of pounds a year just cleaning up dog mess.

I know the vast majority of dog owners are responsible and I thank them for doing the decent thing and cleaning up after their dogs.

Please do report dog fouling when you see it – but if you know a particular dog owner who doesn’t clean up after their pet, you can give us their details as well and we’ll try to catch them.

Related Posts

Comments
  • stephnie hancock January 8, 2015 at 8:51 am

I think that’s an excellent tactic!! (I bet there will be many of those stencils on the pavemement on my route to school!)

• Darren Cooper January 8, 2015 at 9:32 am

Thanks its also really helpful to get people to report this. Helps us target better when we identify what we call Hotspots.

• Darryl Magher January 8, 2015 at 11:22 am

Quite ironic on the Yew Tree where saw one stencil by a bus stop on Greenside Way. There was no dog bin near, there wasn’t even a rubbish bin at the bus stop and the amount of litter around it and by the Church Hall was disgusting. Applaud most efforts to clean up and keep tidy and safe but would also ask that a bit more attention is given to siting of bins both dog fouling and normal bins. Still don’t agree on the wording of the campaign poster, especially when you hear young kids actually saying it.

• stephnie hancock March 11, 2015 at 9:48 am

Good Morning Darren! I had the rare chance to do the school run on foot on Monday and the amount of dog poo i encountered on the way (Church Street, Clyde Street and Mace Street in Old Hill/Cradley Heath) was shocking! I wish i’d have counted the piles actually. Lawrence Lane and Plant Street are also just as bad. Surely it’s repeat offenders as it keeps happening in the same places? Do we do any sort of surveillance work to catch people in the act?

• Darren Cooper March 11, 2015 at 11:10 am

Hi Stephnie. Couldn’t agree more, dog mess is disgusting and it’s one of the most common complaints we get at the council.

Since we launched our dog fouling campaign last year we’ve cleaned up more dog mess than ever before, and we’ve also fined more people for not picking up after their dog.

If you could fill in this form please, we’ll get it cleaned up and we’ll also see if we can get some wardens down there to patrol the area. http://www.sandwell.gov.uk/dogmess

We’ve already caught nearly 100 people in the act of not cleaning up after their dog and we need people like you to report it to us so we don’t let them get away with it.

• Chris Adams. March 11, 2015 at 12:36 pm

Firstly may I say I don`t agree with the wording of your campaign. That is as disgusting as the dog mess itself! Those yellow stencils were put in our street and the pavements are clean there as I walk down there every day with my dogs (and I clean up after them.). Yes there are a few around here who don`t clean up but that is the Wardens job to catch them. When I attended a microchipping day last summer I didn`t expect the woman from Serco to -shout that we would be fined £75 if we didn`t clean up after our dogs. And if I say this once I`ll say it a hundred times.Why are horse owners allowed to tether their horses illegally on council land and foul it so badly that no one can use it? Hall Lane Park in Tipton being one site I can mention.

• Darren Cooper March 13, 2015 at 11:33 am

I’m pleased you clean up after your pet like myself. However many don’t im afraid. The Council is doing all it can to address this issue, but people power is also needed. The horse issue is being addressed, but we get criticism for that has well. Sometimes you just can’t win. The majority seem to think that we have got the balance right, and thank you for your comment.

• Ian McDermott March 16, 2015 at 8:37 am

Many year back we were lucky enough to see a dog ban put into place on Hydes Road Playing Fields, but everyone knows it is not enforced, as there is no-one to enforce it, wise choice to spend the money on such signs. We have seen a huge increase in dogs on the fields as the owners know they can let their dogs defecate freely all over the playing surfaces with impunity (not all dog owners, but some) – what will be done about this?

Interesting to see your comments Darren about horses. We have had illegal grazing on Riverway for months and the Asda O/S in Tipton looks like the High Chaperal! Nothing has changed.

• Darren Cooper March 16, 2015 at 11:06 am

Happy to pick up the playing fields you have mentioned Ian, and get our Wardens to undertake some patrols in the area. The horse issue is ongoing, however I will check out your concerns with local Councillors about this. Thank you for your comments.

• Chris Adams. March 26, 2015 at 12:56 pm

Banning dogs from places surely does not work. I believe that dogs need to free run,or they become bored and aggressive. However owners must realise their dogs must be trained to come to call. Also of course cleaning up after them! And if their dogs are not people or dog friendly,muzzle them!

• nigel ternce cooper April 6, 2015 at 5:02 pm

seems like dog pooh on the foot paths and parks, is worse than ever.

• Victoria April 7, 2015 at 11:17 am

Biggest problem are stupid careless people.

LAbelling pavement with this will not work because with the time in will become ignored 🙁 And it doesnt look good.

There is not enought space for us already to live in silence and clean nature. Everybody are put into small territories they call gardens! :-(, in box houses like pigs in farms surrounded by stinky and noisy motorways (horrible!)

Best way to remowe dog shit is to walk dog in fields where it will not cause any problems but will dissolve naturally. And reduce a overpopulation of dogs caused by stupid breeding for petting. Dog is animal – not a toy.

If in area with children dog shit should be put it into bushes with shovel > into soil, so it dissolves naturally.

Plastic is bad idea, because some of these idiots throw them on trees/ they don’t melt and keep on hanging for a long time! It’s horrible view. Plastic doesn’t melt. And that is why the other problem will appear – plastic rubbish everywhere!

Too many people who don’t care – causes suffering for those who cares.
    Enough! Stop playing games and talking silly politically correct talks instead let’s do it good.